A Liberal Marines Progressive Perspective

Marines are defenders of the republic and the Constitution. That is our oath, that is our purpose, that is our calling. Many are Democrats. This is the journal of one such Marine. This leatherneck's progressive perspective is as follows...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southwest, United States

U.S. Marine,0300 MOS,eight years in,honorably discharged,college-educated. To all the damned trolls, you better believe there are liberal Marines. Read "War Is A Racket" by 2-time Medal of Honor recipient Maj.Gen.S.D.Butler, plus Lewis B. Puller, Jr.'s "Fortunate Son" and maybe then you'll understand. Semper Fi!

Play M.L.1775 Theme Song

Monday, May 30, 2005


Memorial Day 2005: Lest We Forget , as well as, Remembering It's All About A Republic That's Of the People, By the People and For the People Posted by Hello
Good morning to all aboard the blog. I hope all of you are well on this fine Memorial Day Monday. Before I begin, I first want to bring something to the fore. A friend of mine told me yesterday that after reviewing my blog, this friend of mine believes the blog to be (in my friend's words now) "...very partisan, angry and creepy...". Needless to say, said remarks caused me a fair amount of distress and consternation in that, although I can admit the blog IS partisan (I have no problem with that representation, since yours truly IS a proud Democrat/Liberal...and I make no bones about that), does it really rate the characterization of "angry" and "creepy"? I'd like to get some feedback from the loyal readers of the blog in terms of whether or not it's fair to call this blog angry and creepy? If so, I am more than happy to take suggestions in terms of how I can tamp down whatever excesses take away from the message I'm trying to convey. Again, I'd really appreciate any feedback that would facilitate this endeavor. OK, now on with the show. Today is Memorial Day 2005, a time to reflect on the common sacrifice of so many that have died in the struggle to maintain this grand socio-political experiment and this grand Republic. It is a time to understand that freedom isn't free and that many a gold star (so to speak) have been placed in many a window in the name of maintaining this Republic since the very inception of this great social experiment called the United States of America back in 1776. In fact, to give us all an idea of the magnitude of said sacrifice, here's a breakdown of the sheer massiveness of the American sacrifice placed on the altar of freedom over the past 229 years ("major" wars only; information via wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page):

Revolutionary War (1775-1783)/ 6,824 killed in action
War of 1812 (1812-1815)/ 2,260 killed in action
Mexican War (1846-1848)/ 1,733 killed in action
Civil War (1861-1865)/ 359,528 killed in action*
Spanish-American War (1898)/ 2,446 killed in action
World War I (1914-1918)/ 126,000 killed in action**
World War II (1939-1945)/ 405,399 killed in action***
Korean War (1950-1953)/ 54,000 killed in action
VietnamWar (1963-1975) 58,000+ killed in action****
Persian Gulf War (1990-1991)/148 killed in action*****
Iraq War (2003-???)/ 1,657 killed in action******

*: only counting the Union lost, not concerned about Confederates in any way, shape or form.
**: WWI began in 1914, but U.S. didn't officially put "boots on the ground" until 1917.
***: again, WWII began in 1939, U.S. didn't get involved (really) until 1941.
****: Vietnam had been at war for a thousand years, and had been battling the French since 1945 (with U.S. assistance). French got out in 1954 (after fall of Dien Bien Phu), U.S. took their place and sent in "advisors" under President Eisenhower, but President Kennedy really ramped it up when he sent even more advisors in 1963. However, it went "full-tilt" in 1965 when President Johnson had the Marines land at Da Nang marking the beginning of the American "full-court press".
*****: hostilities didn't officially kick off until January 1991, but (for all intents and purposes) the war began with Operation DESERT SHIELD in 1990.
******: the Iraq War sadly continues, thus the KIA toll continues to rise.

Grand Total of U.S. KIA = roughly 1,017,995 Americans killed in action (and these are only those Americans killed in what are called the "MAJOR" wars...doesn't include the sacrifices made during the smaller wars, i.e., the Barbary Pirates conflict, the Black Hawk War, all the Indian Wars, the Banana Wars,Grenada, Panama, etc).

And the sacrifice continues, every day in Iraq...every, single day (although, this war AIN'T about freedom as most of us know it, it's really about another seven-letter word spelled "P-R-O-F-I-T-S"...but that's a discussion for another time). No, good people, freedom is certainly NOT free. Take care and keep the memories of these Americans that gave the ultimate sacrifice (and their families) close in your thoughts and in your hearts this Memorial Day 2005. Semper Fidelis

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeri said...

It isn't like you have anything to be angry about but creepy? No way. Keep up the great work.

--Christian Ready

1:48 PM  
Blogger DBK said...

I don't get the creepy part. Angry? Maybe. I think a lot of us on the left are angry. As Jeri implied, there's plenty to be angry about.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Bulldog said...

ML1775,
Love the site. Keep feeding the anger. It's because you are so passionate about this great country of ours and the fact that the current administration is wreaking havoc on it that has you so angry. I'm frickin' angry too! And I do my best to let my elected reps know it, albeit with the right amount of tact.

The only suggestion I would make is to change the commenting scheme to allow anonymous comments. I used to be on Blogger, but now have my own site and your current commenting scheme doesn't allow me to reflect that, just my old blogger site. I have them allowed on my site and despite the occasional troll, I have very few problems. Other than that, keep up the great work! I'm proud to call you "brother"!

Semper Fi,
Bulldog
www.bulldogsays.com

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home