A Liberal Marines Progressive Perspective

Marines are defenders of the republic and the Constitution. That is our oath, that is our purpose, that is our calling. Many are Democrats. This is the journal of one such Marine. This leatherneck's progressive perspective is as follows...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southwest, United States

U.S. Marine,0300 MOS,eight years in,honorably discharged,college-educated. To all the damned trolls, you better believe there are liberal Marines. Read "War Is A Racket" by 2-time Medal of Honor recipient Maj.Gen.S.D.Butler, plus Lewis B. Puller, Jr.'s "Fortunate Son" and maybe then you'll understand. Semper Fi!

Play M.L.1775 Theme Song

Monday, February 07, 2005


Updated Comments: Lt. Gen. Mattis's Remarks Posted by Hello
I was reading news stories online and checking out the blog before hitting the rack (it's rack time folks!) when I came across some feedback from David, a reader somewhere out there in the ether, concerning my comments on Lt. Gen. Mattis's statement(s) a few days ago. He wanted me to read a Washington Times (oh no, not the Washington Times) op-ed article on the subject. So, I did and this is a follow-up to that post. It's going to be short and to the point (at least I'll try to make it short and to the point), especially since it's racktime. First, thanks David for reading my blog...I appreciate it. Secondly, I can't stand the right-wing propaganda machine that is the Washington Times. I don't agree with much of what they have to say, since their orientation is an extremely conservative one (Tony Blankley,...need I say more) and mine is not. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, The Washington Post is the only "paper of record" coming out of the Beltway (but that's a discussion for another time). Lastly, after reading the Washington Times article (titled "Intimate Killing" by retired Maj. Robert H. Scales, link is here: http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20050206-094203-4208r.htm) I found myself disappointed seeing there are actually people out there that believe the kind of nonsense the general was espousing. I mean, Mattis sounded like somekind of twisted death-ghoul for crying out loud. Listen, I love Lt. General Mattis like I love all of my fellow Marines. We, as Marines, have a special bond and connection that no one else shares. Mattis, Scales and others have been in combat (Mattis for sure, look at his "brick"...he's got a First Gulf War ribbon, looks like he has a MACV ribbon, oakleaf clusters all over the place, at least one Navy Achievement Medal, Expert Rifle, Expert Pistol and a whole lot of other decorations) and been in harms way. But let me say this...there is something warped about someone who says killing folks is fun or enjoyable. Now, that doesn't mean it isn't necessary at times, certainly it is when one's life is in mortal danger. But, to make it almost romantic or compare it to somekind of pleasurable experience akin to scoring a touchdown or something along those lines is wrong and irresponsible. Killing is not fun nor is it something to celebrate or lust after. It is simply wrong to glamorize it. And if you don't understand that, I feel sorry for you. Again, thanks David for checking my blog out. Take care. Semper Fidelis

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Thanks. I don't know if you've seen other people's reactions. Armchair Generalist, for example. There's a minor discussion going on over at TIA (http://tianews.blogspot.com/2005/02/mattis-matter.html) which you may want to weigh in on (you're quoted, actually).

I reacted strongly to Mattis, and also found Scales' comments chilling, and I'm glad to hear a "progressive" military perspective that's not so forgiving as others seem to have bent over backwards to be.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home